- Jon has reinstalled his QNAP NAS with Debian.
- Jerry has been running Folding@Home with in his K8S environment.
- Jon mentioned BOINC which he erroniously mentioned was what Folding@Home uses – it’s not, but there are other BOINC projects and that you can run, and that you can run BOINC on Android. You can’t run Folding@Home on Android.
- Stu was blogging about managing Arista EOS with Ansible, and that he’s working on his next posts, firstly managing the MikroTik RouterOS in the same way, and also he’s looking at building a OpenBSD based equivelent too.
- Al has been working with Terraform. He’s moving from using ARM templates to using Terraform Configuration Files.
- Jerry suggests building a VM to a patched image, and then deploying the patched image instead of just building up a machine from a stock market image.
- Al is doing something like that already.
- Jon suggests some naming conventions with regards to Terraform configuration files. He also suggests using modules in Terraform. Stu and Jerry do the same thing.
- Stu mentions that Terraform modules can be used with git tags.
- Stu also suggests not provisioning EVERYTHING with the same directory of configuration files.
- The team reviews the operations of the Terraform binary.
- Stu mentions that Terraform has a lifecycle setting which may prevent accidental deletion of resources.
- Al is also moving to using Ansible to post-provision the virtual machines.
- Jon talks about how Ansible Tower and it’s upstream open source project, AWX, works, including scheduling, credential abstraction and the availability of web hooks.
- Al talks about how he’s looking to use Ansible against his environment, and looks for some better practices in using Ansible.
- Jerry suggests using inventory and roles. Stu suggests using tags to only run parts of the playbook. Jon uses conditionally included roles instead of using tags.
- Jon explains about Ansible Galaxy, Roles and Collections, based on his attendance of a talk about the Ansible roadmap at Red Hat Summit. Stu mentions using
ansible-galaxyto create role template directories.
Astute members of the community will notice that we’re now a member of the Other Side Podcast Network.
We want to remind our listeners that we have a Telegram channel and email address if you want to contact the hosts. We also have Patreon, if you’re interested in supporting the show. Details can all be found on our Contact Us page.