Al Went to this event – can you spot him!
Docker networking Video Series
What Jerry recommend as offsite backup: Crash Plan
Jerry WordPress X-Addon Plugin issue
Podnuts Pro Podcast
Why would you?
- As a contractor, you work for your own company who supplies services to the company you’re working for. They don’t have to pay for holidays/national insurance/pension, etc.
- They take no risk – you often have to take out insurance as a contractor
- The money is much better
- “Tax efficiency”. Pay yourself a nominal salary that keeps you under the PAYE threshold
- Pay yourself dividends, which are only subject to corporation tax
- Pay VAT as a lump sum to HMRC on profits only – can claim it back on any business expenses
- Business expenses also eat into profits, but lower profits mean a lower overall tax bill
Are you aware of Hacktoberfest? Contribute 4 Pull Requests to any github project (including documentation, unit tests or even *shock horror* code…) and get a T-Shirt and stickers.
It’s a great idea for getting people dipping their toes into using git, and potentially into contributing to open source projects.
I “won” it last year (as in, I completed my four PRs and got the T-Shirt and stickers), and I’m entered again for this year.
All the best,